Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Quiet Life

I've been so inspired lately. I've been dreaming giant dreams; moreso than I've even let on.

Tonight I sat at a local coffee shop listening to a guy playing guitar and a girl singing. I thought, it's so cool that there's a place where people can start out performing their music, as if it's practice for something greater. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

My imagination wondered back to times long ago, before all this technology, before the world was so interconnected. (Maybe not just long ago, but just to more remote, less developed places.) Were there always nationally famous musicians and things of the sort? Could fame spread so easily?

I caught myself in my own dreams. Do I dream to be famous? Do I dream to change the world? Why do I dream so much of having influence? For my own fame? Is that what it is?

What if dreaming big dreams only meant to use our gifts and passions to contribute to and inspire the community around us, the community we live in, and that was enough? What if it was quality over quantity, and never about our own glory? Why would I even think success necessarily equates with the amount of lives I influence? Because isn't influencing the community you live in alone enough?

I'm deciding to choose quality over quantity. I want to impact people more, rather than impact more people. I'm choosing to glorify God rather than myself.

I am just a miniscule speck in the universe. And that is okay. I'm letting the quiet life be enough.

I want my life to be great, but the tiny, quiet kind of great.

"...make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands...so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment