Sunday, January 22, 2012

Body and Blood

I love watching people take communion.

I never really paid attention to anyone else until all of the Walkabouts went to church one day and we had communion. I remember seeing them take it, knowing their stories and struggles and their love for Christ, and it just meant so much more to me. They are forgiven and alive. I rejoice with them.

I used to always just think about how Christ died for me. But now I love remembering how Christ sees the church. Not just me, but all of us. To know they are under His grace, watching person after person take it in remembrance, my heart sings.

It's heavenly.

"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.' Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'" Matthew 26:26-28

2 comments:

  1. Doing my homework for Paul, I was reading about how the Corinthians had a self-centered view of communion. We are communing as a church. His Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. Two years ago my pastor led a long series of bible studies about communion, completely rethinking it. I think the biblical concept of communion is so far from we do in most churches.

    ReplyDelete