Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Literacy via World Wide Web: Blogging Craze

If you are reading this sentence, you have your own story to tell. Everyone has a different perspective to share on literacy in their own life, and many have written narratives and memoirs, from Malcolm X to lesser-known individuals. Out of several that I have recently read, the “Canary-Colored Caravan of Death” by Alison Bechdel was most intriguing. In this graphic novel-like narrative, she reveals how her encounters with literacy were heavily shaped by her parents. They were highly literate in various forms, such as poetry, music, acting, and visual art. Yet they were driven more by excellence and perfection than communication, as they preferred to exercise creativity in isolation. Her parents were an elite man and woman who cultivated their literacy day and night, addicted to their own creative worlds. Bechdel writes, “It’s childish, perhaps, to grudge them the sustenance of their creative solitude, but it was all that sustained them, and was thus all-consuming. From their example, I learned quickly to feed myself” (594-595). Her parents were so caught up in their own creativity that it widened the gap between all of her family members. The narrative ends with, “The more gratification we found in our own geniuses, the more isolated we grew…we ate together, but otherwise were absorbed in our separate pursuits” (595). 

Even though Bechdel eventually conformed to her parents’ ways, the story is splattered with examples of her desire to connect with her parents. Every time Bechdel approaches them in this story, they are busy with some sort of creative work. She records dialogues such as, “Did Chop-in write chopsticks?” with her mother’s reply, “Sho-pahn. No. Don’t bother me now” (593). When she approaches her father with, “I’m hungry!” he only says, “I’ll make lunch in fifteen minutes” (594). It is significant to note that the illustrations of these conversations never show her parents even looking up at her as they respond. “Their rapt immersion evokes a familiar resentment in me,” Bechdel narrates. Obviously, she felt slighted by their artistic seclusion. In the beginning of the narrative, when Bechdel attempted to share her artistic works, she only received analytical feedback instead personal and relational responses. It seems Bechdel desires to share her literacy, and that the mimicking of her parents’ behavior was only out of having given up on this. I also believe art should be a shared joy, and the purpose of literacy is the communication that most desire, yet my own experiences are significantly different.

Countless influences have shaped my literacy throughout my lifetime, yet there is no single event I could expand upon without it being heavily embellished with made-up details. No single tale stands out enough for me to fully recall it and its true impact on my writing. While I could write a boring list of minute influences that span across my autobiography at a slow and steady pace, I would rather call attention to the effects of the internet and, further, I want to focus more specifically on the recent phenomenon among my circle of friends; I dub it “the blogging craze.”

While reminiscing on my personal history of reading and writing, I realized nothing has influenced my writing—and possibly yours too—more than the new reign of the internet and text-based communication. The main form of interpersonal interaction has always been face-to-face, yet in recent years, a good portion of it has transferred to texting, blogging, and updating Facebook. With a critical eye, I have seen this as a possible detriment to society and ground upon which one should carefully tread, but my perspective has suddenly shifted to include its positive aspects as well.

As a verbal processor without the natural inclination to think before speaking, increased opportunities to express myself through writing have significantly improved my linguistic abilities. Thoughts that would normally come out fragmented and rough in the presence of others, naturally form into well-sculpted sentences in the absence of social distraction, leaving me able to text my thoughts at times in their most artistic forms. The always-available soapbox of the Facebook status leaves users with a blank text box begging to be filled. Unlike the blank Word document that seems daunting as scholarship and academics breathe down our necks, snickering while we perspire under the stress, the online world better resembles a green pasture to frolic across—social, casual, and lighthearted. We are free to practice literacy unaware we are even doing so. Like children, we learn not through force and formalities, but through play. In this atmosphere written language appears more colorful, creative, and stylistic. Natural poets and comedians, such as I, become fluent in writing with confidence and personality.

The internet is a world where everyone has a voice and a level playing field—amateurs and professionals alike. We have become our own publishers. Because of this, we are able to influence each other more greatly through the written word. Not only do I have easy access to more relevant professional articles to expand my vocabulary and comprehension, I can also more easily enter the minds of my own acquaintances and friends.

I have recently noticed a spurt in blogging among my peers, which has, in turn, encouraged me to become a more active blogger—and follower. I read the posts of my friends at Truman, my friends that have left Truman for missions in Thailand and Kenya, and my dear staff at a summer camp. One blog in particular has caught my special attention. It is authored by a woman I know and respect with a specific audience in mind. Though she does include stories about herself, it is not a blog accounting for the mundane occurrences of her everyday life. She writes with the purpose of serving fellow women. Daily, she pours out her heart to be a positive influence in the lives around her, even those a thousand miles away. While I used to reside with her on the same plot of land in the Texas hill country, I now eagerly check her blog at my home in Kirksville every day via the World-Wide Web. Talk about influence.

With each new day, I am changed in some way through her words that impart wisdom and hope. This reminds me of the power of words and the influence I can have on others through my writing as well. It encourages me to write, and to write with purpose, bringing a new weight that hinges on my ability to communicate well. I strive for my thoughts to be crafted with the same skill and, consequently, impact that hers carry. The common exercise of blogging and other forms of online communication have brought a new kind of conversation to life. It is its own unique medium of art, which has brought confidence and motivation to my literary journey, as well as to that of others.

Bechdel, Alison. “The Canary-Colored Caravan of Death.” Norton Field Guide to Writing. 2nd ed. By Richard Bullock and Maureen Daly Goggin. New York: Norton, 2010. Print. 583-595.  

No comments:

Post a Comment