A few recent unrelated
events have sparked an idea in me. As I'm thinking about the different
cultures and viewpoints in our country today, and how it seems like
endless arguing a lot of the time, I think we really need to just sit
down and talk to each other. More like listen to each other. I think we
lack a lot of understanding of each other. People tend to group up into
groups of people like themselves and don't exchange ideas as much as
they could.
Here's the thing: Not everyone has it all right, and no one has it all wrong. Let's learn from each other.
Just yesterday I was watching a good 'ol British version of Planet Earth called Wild Pacific. In the episode I watched they discussed two very remote islands. One was still full of people and they talked about how they were still thriving because they, as a community, worked together and shared everything. Then they showed another remote island with no one and talked about how in their competition to build bigger and bigger statues than the next person, they used up all their resources. Then wars broke out and they all killed each other.
Here's the thing: Not everyone has it all right, and no one has it all wrong. Let's learn from each other.
Just yesterday I was watching a good 'ol British version of Planet Earth called Wild Pacific. In the episode I watched they discussed two very remote islands. One was still full of people and they talked about how they were still thriving because they, as a community, worked together and shared everything. Then they showed another remote island with no one and talked about how in their competition to build bigger and bigger statues than the next person, they used up all their resources. Then wars broke out and they all killed each other.
Whoa, let that be a lesson to
us. Do we want our country to thrive? Do we want to fix familial,
political, economic, environmental problems in our society? Do we want
our communities to be healthy and thriving? I think it starts here.
That being said, the point of this post is that I want to start an organization at Truman where this dialogue can take place. Where people can respectfully discuss and listen to each others' points of view. A bridge in the gap between different "bubbles."
BUT, I am not staying at Truman, so I can't really do this unfortunately. So... any takers? Anyone else support this vision and want to carry it out for me?
And anyone else want to do this at their school or in their community?
That being said, the point of this post is that I want to start an organization at Truman where this dialogue can take place. Where people can respectfully discuss and listen to each others' points of view. A bridge in the gap between different "bubbles."
BUT, I am not staying at Truman, so I can't really do this unfortunately. So... any takers? Anyone else support this vision and want to carry it out for me?
And anyone else want to do this at their school or in their community?
This isn't an organization, per se, but it is a project and I am seriously considering doing it next year:
ReplyDeletehttp://humanlibrary.org/